January 2, 2024
EXECUTION SET FOR ALABAMA DEATH ROW INMATE
MONTGOMERY, Ala. – The Alabama Supreme Court has issued an order to carry out the sentence of death of inmate Kenneth Eugene Smith and the Alabama Department of Corrections is proceeding with this statutory duty. Smith was sentenced to death for the 1988 capital murder of Elizabeth Dorlene Sennett in Colbert County.
Accordingly, Governor Ivey has set a 30-hour time frame for the execution to occur beginning at 12:00 a.m. on Thursday, January 25, 2024, and expiring at 6:00 a.m. on Friday, January 26, 2024. The execution will take place at the William C. Holman Correctional Facility (CF) in Atmore, Alabama. The tentative start time will be 6:00 p.m. on the 25th. This, of course, may change based on the conclusion of the required legal proceedings.
The number of state media witnesses to the execution is limited to five and will be determined as follows:
• One reporter from the Associated Press
• Two print reporters, including one reporter from within the county or closest to the county of conviction (Colbert County). If more than one agency from this county is present, witness privileges will be determined by draw.
• Two broadcast/online reporters, including one reporter from within the county or closest to the county of conviction (Colbert County). If more than one agency from this county is present, witness privileges will be determined by draw.
All other members of the state media will be required to remain in the Media Center. There will be an additional space made available for any national or international media.
PLEASE READ INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY
Once this advisory is sent, respondents will be registered in the order they are received. Upon receipt of this notice, please submit all names of those requesting to witness/cover the event to Public Information Manager Kelly Betts NO LATER THAN 3 P.M. ON THURSDAY, JANUARY 11th to Kelly.Betts@doc.alabama.gov. Witnesses and other members of the media will receive a confirmation email.
ADVANCE NOTICE OF ATTENDANCE IS REQUIRED FOR THE NECESSARY SECURITY MEASURES. ONLY THOSE ON THE MEDIA LIST WILL BE PERMITTED ACCESS TO ADOC PREMISES.
ADOC EVENT TIMELINE
1. ALL media should check in at the Holman CF gate entrance and obtain a media badge. State media will be directed to the ADOC Media Center. Any national or international media will be directed to an additional space provided. Be prepared to present proper photo identification. ONLY THOSE ON THE MEDIA LIST WILL BE PERMITTED ACCESS TO ADOC PREMISES.
2. STATE MEDIA WITNESSES SHOULD ARRIVE AT THE ADOC MEDIA CENTER BY 4:00 P.M.
3. At the appropriate time, media witnesses will be transported from the Media Center to a staging trailer at Holman CF. Media witnesses will go through a security screening prior to boarding the transport van. No electronic, photographic, mechanical, or artistic paraphernalia will be permitted inside the witness room. Failure of security screenings will result in the immediate removal from the facility and loss of future media privileges.
a. Media witnesses will be allowed to take their cell phones onto the transport van for communication purposes only – no photos or video. They will then be required to leave them inside the van before entering Holman CF.
4. Following the execution, ADOC officials will return to the Media Center for a press conference. Members of the media are asked to confine their questions to the execution. The Media Center will remain open for 30 minutes after the press conference to allow time for reporters to complete their articles.
All members of the media must wear proper attire as outlined in the ADOC Administrative Regulations regarding visitation.
LOCATIONS AND PHONE NUMBER
ADOC Media Center – Fountain 3800, Atmore, AL 36503
William C. Holman Correctional Facility Entrance – 866 Ross Road, Atmore, AL 36502
Phone Number: 334-320-2478